Score: 4.8/5 (62 votes)
On the other hand is not a conjunction. It goes at the beginning of the second clause and is usually separated from the rest of the sentence with a comma. It can also go in the middle of the sentence. In that case we use two commas to set it off.
How do you use the word on the other hand in a sentence?
(1) On the other hand, the idea appealed to him. (2) I want to go to the party, but on the other hand I ought to be studying. (3) On the other hand, many women choose to go out to work. (4) I'd like to eat out, but on the other hand I should be trying to save money.
What are the examples of connectors?
List of Sentence Connectors in English with Examples
- HOWEVER. This restaurant has the best kitchen in town. ...
- IN CONTRAST. House prices have gone up this year. ...
- NEVERTHELESS. I was in so much pain I didn't want to get up in the morning. ...
- NONETHELESS. ...
- YET. ...
- ON THE OTHER HAND. ...
- BY COMPARISON. ...
- ON THE CONTRARY.
What are the sentence connectors?
Sentence connectors are used to link ideas from one sentence to the next and to give paragraphs coherence. Sentence connectors perform different functions and are placed at the beginning of a sentence. They are used to introduce, order, contrast, sequence ideas, theory, data etc.
What are the types of logical connectors?
Logical connectors are used to join or connect two ideas that have a particular relationship. These relationships can be: sequential (time), reason and purpose, adversative (opposition, contrast and/or unexpected result), condition.
What are the four types of connectors in English?
Connectors are used between two separate sentences. There are four types of conjunctions: coordinating, correlative, subordinating, and conjunctive adverbs (discussed elsewhere). One sentence can contain multiple types of conjunctions, and often does.
Why do we use connectors?
Connectors are an important tool for writing proficiently in English. Their purpose is to join information together within a sentence. Using connectors correctly will help ensure the meaning of your sentences are clear for readers to understand.
What are some good sentence starters?
Some words are indeed notable for being good sentence starters. The list will include the following: although, I would like to, first, meanwhile, therefore, subsequently, while, I would like to, moreover, in general, in addition, furthermore.
What are the six types of connectors in English?
Improve Your English Fluency by Using 6 Types of Connectors
- Sentence connectors are linking words that are used between two separate ideas or sentences. ...
- if so, if not, otherwise.
- as a result, because of this, consequently, so (that), such (that), therefore, hence, thus.
- namely, that is to say, in other words.
What are the 3 types of connectors?
Electrical connectors are classified into three types based on their termination ends: board-to-board connectors, cable/wire-to-cable/wire connectors, and cable/wire-to-board connectors.
What is the difference between connectors and linkers?
As nouns the difference between linker and connector
is that linker is that which links while connector is one who connects.
How do you use a connector?
The word 'that' is merely a connector. It is used to introduce a noun clause or a relative clause. In some cases 'that' can be omitted. She said that she would come.
What is mean by on the other hand?
—used to introduce a statement that contrasts with a previous statement or presents a different point of view He's a good guy. His brother, on the other hand, is a very selfish man.
Can on the other hand be used alone?
On the other hand should only be used, if it has been preceded by 'on the one hand'. That's the whole point of it, and Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries both say as such. If you prefer just use a synonym such as in contrast/conversely, but not 'on the other hand' in isolation.
Is it okay to use on the other hand?
As such, it is fine to use “on the other hand” by itself in many contexts. However, some consider using “on the other hand” by itself informal. As such, you may want to avoid this in formal writing, such as academic papers or business documents.
What are the 6 sentence openers?
There are six sentence openers:
- #1: Subject.
- #2: Prepositional.
- #3: -ly Adverb.
- #4: -ing , (participial phrase opener)
- #5: clausal , (www.asia.b)
- #6: VSS (2-5 words) Very Short Sentence.
What are some sentence starters for evidence?
For instance, ………………. This incident provides proof that _______________________ This example provides evidence that _________________________ An example is…………………………. An example on page______ , is……… According to the text, ……………………..
What words can I use to start an introduction?
However, on a sentence level, these words and phrases are also considered to be introductory. Examples: However, On the other hand, Furthermore, Therefore, Thereafter, Consequently, Next, Finally, In conclusion, For example, Ultimately, etc.
What are the two types of connectors?
1. What are Connector specifications? Plug and socket: There are two different formats for connectors, the male, and the female. The male part is known as the plug while the female is known as the socket.
What are logical connectors examples?
- Time: after, as long as, as soon as, before, since, when, whenever, until. ...
- Manner: as (e.g: Do that as your brother does it.), ...
- Reason: since, because, as (e.g.: He left, as it was late.), ...
- Simultaneous: while, as (e. ...
- Concessive: although, even though, though, while. ...
- Additive: in addition, moreover, furthermore.
Is once a connector?
Once is an adverb or conjunction.
Which are linkers?
Linkers are words that relate one idea or sentence of the text with another. They connect the ideas logically. Why are they used? They give direction to the writer. They are also used to guide the reader through his thoughts.